One of the main causes of chronic kidney disease is dental disease. Bacteria builds up under the gum line and enters the blood stream and invades multiple organs including the kidney. ( the heart and liver are also effected)
So, the first thing you need to check is the health of your dog’s teeth.
The chronic use of medications and vaccines can also contribute to toxic overload.
Our food is rich in easy to digest, high quality proteins. Grass fed, lean meats, dairy and fish found in LDC do not stress the kidney. Proteins that are not digested properly create byproducts, like ammonia that are hard for the kidney to filter. We always want to keep the internal body pH alkaline. The proper balance between carbohydrates and protein keep the body from becoming acidic.
Our recipes are low in sodium.
- blueberries – high in antioxidants, low in phosphorus and potassium.
- Olive oil – rich in polyphenols and antioxidants, decrease inflammation
- Apples – pectin and quercetin decrease inflammation
- Brown rice – reduces blood sugar spikes and low glycemic index, helps balance internal pH
- Green beans and carrots – low in calories, high fiber, natural vitamins and minerals
- Fish – contains omega 3 fatty acids to decrease inflammation
Moisture levels are optimum for healthy kidney function
Feed your dog twice a day with smaller amounts if his/her appetite is decreased.
Make sure water is readily available.
Never feed a diet that is high in preservatives, artificial colors or synthetic additives. Kibble is dry. Kidney disease dehydrates your dog. A fresh, diet is better for your dog to stay hydrated.